Renewable Energy…a comment on the comments

Thank you to the students that have taken the time to respond to recent posts. One comment in particular has promted me to post this .

I have copied the comment below from a reply to a request from Zoe and Mercedes. Well done girls for ‘digging deeper’ with your questioning.

Zoe and Mercedes,

I am posing a couple of questions, but as you know when I am posing a question to a few, I am asking the question of all students.

So here they are:

Questions #1and #2

Did you answer the third question about nuclear power plants?

If so, did you carry out any research before you gave me your answer or did you just take a 50/50 shot at getting it right?

Question #3

This is a mathematical question. Look at the results of each of the polls. Can you explain why  the % of Yes/No answers to the second question is more equal?

I look forward  to all of your responses.

19 thoughts on “Renewable Energy…a comment on the comments

1. Yes I did answer the third question and I did just take a 50/50 guess although I thought that there should be one since there isn’t one in Victoria.

I think that’s because Mr Rogers showed us two different videos about global warming and some people haven’t decided on what they think.

2. Hi Mrs Kane
    Yes I did answer the thrid question and did quick easy reaserch to. First I opened a tab on google and typed in nulear power plants in Australia clicked on the first sit that read there is currently no nuclear power plants in Australia. And I also try to reaserch the global warming question too however I recived no answer. Although with the frist question I anwsered about gas, and which category gas fits into, I used the habbit of the mind applying past knowage from when we were working as a class and discussing each source of energy.
    Elise

3. Hi Mrs Kane
    Yes I did answer the thrid question and did quick easy reaserch to. First I opened a tab on google and typed in nulear power plants in Australia clicked on the first sit that read there is currently no nuclear power plants in Australia. And I also try to reaserch the global warming question too however I recived no answer. Although with the frist question I anwsered about gas, and which category gas fits into, I used the habbit of the mind applying past knowage from when we were working as a class and discussing each source of energy seperately.
    Elise

4. Yes mrs Kane, I did answer the third question and I didn’t really know the right answer so I just said Yes because we are a country and I didn’t really know how it was to get from a country to ours. I did answer the global warming question too but I didn’t look it up in google. I remembered that nobody really knows the real answer about who, what and how it is caused. I was doing what Elise… did applyng past knowledge.

5. Having watched the video would of made people undecided and the question harder and nobody realy knows the real answer any way.

6. Hello Mrs Kane,
    I loved that topic of ”Sources of Energy” I thought it was very creative and interesting, what I didnt fully understand was how steam is made to turn the turbines? Is it pressurized some how? And I was also wondering whats our next subject exactly? Sorry to ask so many questions just wanted to clarify some things.
    Wesley

• Thank you Wesley for your questions,
      In response…Yes the steam needs to be applied to the turbine with enough force so that the blades turn.

The next activity we will embark on is the Renewable Energy House. This task will require effective team behaviour. It will require a knowledge of clever sustainable or passive house design. Each team will need to do the following: research, plan, construct and collect data.
      So…now you have some inside information about what is to come.
      Keep the questions coming Wesley!
      Mrs Kane.

7. Hi Mrs Kane
    On the question three instead of looking on the internet I asked my two brothers and mum what they thought and they all thought that there wasn’t one in Victoria or Australia and before I went to them for advice I went on google to see whether or not it had an answer.

• Lauren,
      I like the way you decided to use more than one source of information before you made your decision. I’m very confident that mum and your two brothers are very knowledgable but it doesn’t hurt to do some research as well.
      Good work!
      Mrs Kane.

8. I answered no on the nuclear plant question because when I was researching for pics I found no Australian plants. The second question was more 50/50 because is was a question about opinion.

9. I just took A 50/50 chance but I did do some research and I got it wrong because I said yes but it was no, I got the right answer from my sister

• Hello Craig,
      Yes a 50/50 chance sounds like pretty good odds. Hopefully you have learnt that it pays to do the research before you make your decision.
      Well done,
      Mrs Kane.

10. Yes Mrs Kane I did answer the third question and I did do reasearch. I found that there was curently no powernuclear power plants in Australia.

11. 3. Mrs Kane I think the reason for the poles being more equal because some people still havn’t been convinced. Plus both those videos that you showed us are both different sides of the story.

12. Mrs Kane,
    After you asked everyone those questions that was when I did some research on the third question and found out that there aren’t any nuclear power plants in Australia.

13. Mrs Kane,
    I think that some people haven’t yet been convinced. Because both of the videos were very convincing. I’m not sure if everyone one has decided yes or no yet so I think that most people would just be guessing the answer.

14. Well the internet gave me absolutley no sucsess so I turned to papers and opinions and I have been convinced that there is no Nuclear Power Plants in Australia and I belive Luke is right whn he said 50/50 as it is an opinion.

15. I took a 50/50 shot on my first go at the third one and the second time I asked some of my family and all of them said that there wasn’t. I also think that the second question was more equal because it was harder to answer.

16. I think that the answer for number three is harder because some people think that if the sun is causing global warming then we shouldn’t be concerned but then others think we should still be concerned because some towns will get flooded if all the ice melts.