“For those who come across the sea…”

Where In The World…?

In class we are investigating the history of immigration to Australia.

Next week we are going to ‘map’ the journey that some of your  past relatives may have taken ‘across the sea’ many years ago.

So…I need you to take on the role of detective and interview your mum, or dad, or both. Find out what you can about your family’s immigration history.   Happy hunting!!!

Oh…and leave a comment on this post to let me know what you discover.

17 thoughts on ““For those who come across the sea…”

1. Hello Mrs Kane,
    We went to The National Archives. The was a record of my grandfather Symeon Balkos, my grandmother Olga Balkos, my aunty Violetta Balkos and her brother Danny who came to Australia on the ship FAIRSEA in 1954. Thats all we found so far on my mums side.
    Thanks Caroline

• Thank you Caroline for getting onto this straight away.
      It sounds as if you had some help and hopefully some interesting discussion. The ‘Fairsea’ sounds like an English ship however the surname Balkos sounds European. Does your mum know what country they were originaly from?
      Either way, you have enough information to ‘map’ on Tuesday. Great detective work!
      Mrs Kane

2. Dear Mrs Kane,

On my mum’s side of the family I have Cornish heritage. Cornwall is located within the UK. Cornwall forms the part of the south-west peninsula of the island across Great Britain. But we do not know what the name of the boat was that came across to Australia or our first ancestors name even after tireless searching.

-Lachie

• Thank you Lachlan…great detective work!
      I would like to ash one more thing/. Do you know when the Cornish side of your family came to Australia. It almost certainly would have to have been not before 1800. Many Corninsh families were caught up in the gold rush. I wonder???
      Thanks again Lachlan,
      Mrs Kane

3. Dear Mrs Kane
    Our grandpa Tony migrated from Lubeck in Germany in1948, he was ten years old when he migrated. Tony’s brother and mother went with him. He and his mum and brother came on a ship called the Slavlbard a Sweedish liner. He dosent exaxtly know why the migrated because he had no say in it, they migrated after the war so times were quite tough with little food and water.

DWOSCHAK Alwine born 18 May 1898; Anton born 18 February 1938; Engelhard born 28 May 1924
    From Thomas

• Great dectective work Sherlock!!!
      I find your information very interesting. Thank you for taking the time. Your Gandpa was not alone in leaving Europe after World War 2. There were many others like him.
      I think that the reason you have given ( I’m sure after some valuable discussion), is probably very true.
      Mrs Kane

4. Dear Mrs Kane,
    On my mum’s side of the family, my great, great, great Grandfather, Daniel Robbins, emigrated from Ravenstone, Buckinghamshire, England in the mid 1800’s. He arrived on the ship ‘Blue Jacket’ and then came to Kyneton on Christmas Eve of 1858. He was one of the first people to build a house in east Kyneton (Epping Street). He was a Stonemason by trade and when he first came to Australia he helped build the Gisborne Courthouse. We couldn’t really find out about much on my dad’s side of the family, except that my grandparents immigrated to Australia in 1959 after growing up in Ireland.
    From Emily

• Hi Emily,
      Wow and double wow! What fabulous information you have about your family.
      Trust me. As you get older the more meaningful and precious all this becomes.
      So 1858….around the time of the gold rush I guess. That makes sense doesn’t it.
      A treasure trove of family history.
      Mrs Kane

5. “For those who’ve come across the sea….”

As a class we have analysed the lyrics of our national anthem. We talked about the meaning of “For those who’ve come across the sea….” We decided that it is talking about the multiculturalism of Australia and that we are made up of many cultures and religions.

I decided to do some research about my family immigration history and guess what I found out. Around the 1930’s my grandpa moved from Ireland to the UK and married my grandma. Then because the 10 pound pom subsidy they came across looking for better work. Eventually they found their way to Gisborne and bought a house and have been living here ever since.

Mrs Kane got us to dive even deeper and we researched about our class’s family history. It turns out that none of us are fully Australian. Most of us have an English background but some of us even have ancestors from China. Also I found out that my first name Callum is Irish.
    Our class is truly multicultural.

So these lyrics truly reflect us as a country.

By Callum

6. This term we have analysed the lyrics of our National Anthem we talked about the meaning of “for those who’ve come across the sea…” We decided that Australia is a very multicultural country.

I decided to find out my family’s history and guest what I discovered. I found out that my great, great, great, grandfather came from Italy in the 1800’s. His name was Charlie. Another part of my family history is my great, great, Grandma came from England at the end of the World War 1 her name was Lauraannieruth. So as you can properly see I have a very multicultural family.

As a class we dove deeper and found out that many of us have some sort of family members that are from England that have immigrated to Australia. We found out that we are very multicultural.

So these lyrics really show that we truly are multicultural nation.

From Olivia

7. This term we have analysed the lyrics of our national anthem. We talked about the meaning of “For those who’ve come across the seas…” we decided that it symbolises how Australia is a multi cultural nation.

Mrs Kane asked us to do some detective work of our own. I found out that my Nana came out to Australia from a town called Kemden, Holland in 1951. Oma and Opa thought that there was a better future in Australia. My pop came out from a town called Tortea, Sicily, Italy in 1954 with his mum and dad on a boat called Neptunia. The voyage took 27 days.

As a class we dove deeper and found out that we are truly multicultural. We found out that, most people have connections with England. We had 29 countries on the board all with at least one person that had ancestors from there.
    So these lyrics really do reflect Australia and it multiculturalism.

From Hannah

8. Dear Mrs Kane,

My fellow peers and I have analysed the lyrics of our National Anthem. We consulted and we decieded the deeper meaning of ‘’for those who’ve have come across the seas.’’ was showcasing our multi-cultural society. And that as a nation we let in most nationalities even though they might have different cultures to us.

After analysing the text I was intrigued to learn my own family’s immigration history. I asked my Grandpa what family heritage I had. I was surprised to learn that I had Cornish blood in me. Cornwall is located in England. Although after tireless searching I could not find any more info about my ancestors. Then I searched for my Dad’s side of the family. I again was surprised to find I had Aboriginal blood in me. As we all know they couldn’t of been immigrants as they already where settled in Australia.

Then we went a step further and analysed the class’s immigration history. England was by far the winner with 27 class members with ancestors from England. We then discussed why our ancestors would have migrated. We looked at a short clip that gave as the answer to our question. There were things like the 10 pound pom that would have swayed people’s mind and that was not the only attraction to go to Australia.

– Lachie

9. This week we have be analysing the lyrics of our National anthem. We talked about the meaning of “For those who’ve come across the seas” We decided that it is talking about our country and how we are very multicultural. This mean that many people from other countries who have different nationalities and religion have come to settle into Australia.

I decided to research my family’s immigration history,
    I discovered that my Dad’s side of the family was from Ireland and my Mum’s side of the family was from India. I was very interested that my Mum’s side of the family was Indian. When my Pa was a child with his two brothers, they came to Australia for a better life. They found a house in Sunshine and when my Pa was older he bought a house in Macedon. I have yet to find out more information about my Dad’s side of the family but I think it is very interesting.

Mrs Kane decided that we search deeper into our classes family history. It turns out that none of us are fully Australian. Most of us are from a English background but others have a different immigration history.

10. “For those who’ve come across the seas…”

As a class we have analysed the lyrics of our National Anthem we talked about the meaning of “those how have come across the sea. “We decided that we should find out awe family history. 0% of the class was pure Australian.

Over three days I’ve found out over twenty things about my family. I learned I’ve come form 4 different countries.

11. This term, we have analysed the meaningful lyrics of our National Anthem. We talked about the meaning of “For those who’ve come across the seas…”. We decided that these lyrics showcase that Australia is a very Multi-Cultural country, and that over time, many immigrants have travelled to our country for a better life.

As I was very interested in discovering more about my family history, I followed Mrs Kane’s advice to hunt down some information about my past relatives and ancestors. To help me with this, I referred to a family history book and found out that my Great, Great, Great Grandpa immigrated to Australia in 1858. He was a stone mason, and after coming over here on the ship “Blue Jacket”, and settling in East Kyneton, he helped build the Gisborne Court House. I predict he came over then, as it was around the time of the Gold Rush. On a more current side of things, my grandparents grew up in Ireland and then migrated over to Australia.

Yesterday, Mrs Kane got us to dig even deeper into immigration in Australia, so we spent the whole day on this topic. We tallied down all of the large range of countries that our relatives emigrated from, and from this we discovered that most of our ancestors came from Europe. Several emigrated from Ireland and very little came from Asia. After watching a very fascinating video on significant events in Australian history, we analysed these and found out what they meant-Such as the £10 Pom and the ‘White Australian Policy”.

From learning about immigration in Australia, it really reflects how multi-cultural our nation actually is.

By Emily

12. “For those who’ve come across the seas…”
    As a class we analysed the lyrics of our national anthem. We talked about the meaning of “For those who come across the sea…” We decided that it meant the people who’ve come across the sea to live in Australia.
    I decided that I should go and do some research and you won’t believe what I found. My grandfather Semion Balkos, my grandmother Olga Balkos, my aunty Violetta Balkos, and my uncle Danny Balkos all came to Australia in 1954 on the FAIRSEAS (Balkos is a Macedonian surname). Apparently the FAIRSEAS played a very big role in the development of Australia’s immigration. It had 81 trips to Australia too. Well that’s all I found out but I’m sure I’m going to find out even more.
    Thanks Caroline

13. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I found out that on my mum’s side my pop came over to Australia in 1955 from Italy. My Granma came over in 1955, too. My pop was in World War 2. And my Granma came over to Australia from New Caledonia. In Italy I have an Aunt that is 92. In New Caledonia I have a cousin born on the exact same day as me. I’m going over there in September to meet her and my other relatives there too.
    From Sarah : )