Fraction fun…

Just for fun …or at the very least, fraction practice.

Give these a go and let me know how you would rate these games and why?

Can you find some fraction games of your own to add to your Maths page on your blog?

Capture

Capture

26 thoughts on “Fraction fun…

1. Hi Mrs Kane!
    I played both the games that you have put up. They were both fun. I rate the fraction wall game a 4 out of 10. Pros: It was colourful, and was pretty easy to play. Cons: It’s a bit too easy for me and it doesn’t really help me to improve anything. I rate the Fraction Fiddle Shoot the hoop game a 5 out of 10. Pros: It was interactive with animations and good graphics. Cons: They helped you get the right answer by sticking a number line so that you can check whether you are right or not. I also think that it is a bit babyish for me. I have also made a new page for Maths sites. I have collected 3 websites so far.
    From: Tim

• Tim,
      thankyou for your informative road-testing of these two sites. The pros and cons idea I thought, was a creative way of ranking the sites. I look forward to you sharing the sites you have discovered with the class.
      Great work Tim,
      Mrs Kane

2. Dear Mrs Kane
    I think that the fraction basketball game is really helpful if you are learning fractions. I rate this game a 8/10. The reason why I rate it 8/10 is because it was good but I think that it needed to have more harder fractions. Apart from that it was great like the side bar which tells you if you are close or not. I think that the fraction game is for kids who are 8 years and older. This was a great fraction game!
    From Oscar

• Thank you Oscar for your comment.
      I’m gathering that find the basketball game more challenging.
      I’d like to ask you…what skills do you need to improve upon to reach a higher score?
      Mrs Kane

3. Hi Mrs Kane:

I have played both of these games and I have chosen to tell you about the Fraction Wall Game first. I personally liked this games because you can colour in the squares and you can be interactive and roll the dice. I think that is really cool! Though it is not the best game in the world I would rate this game a 4/5.

Fraction Fiddle is a bit trickier to use. Even when I listened to and watched the tutorial I still didn’t get it. I kept making mistakes. There are two buttons on the side of the fraction, one button facing up and the other facing down. But, when you pressed the down button is made the number go up and vice versa. For this I give it a 2/5.

I have added the maths site that I found onto my blog and it has lots of games listed down the side and I have tested them and I think they are suitable for my blog. Yes I have linked it to the picture for the website.

I hope I have left a quality comment and completed my homework.

From Emma

• Emma,
      great job. I value your feedback in regard to these games. I think the second game is probably challenging because you need to learn a few skills in regard what the game is asking of you.

I look forward to exploring your blog and the maths games you believe are worth including on your blog.
      Mrs Kane.

4. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I played both of the games but for this task I have chosen to rate fraction fiddle shoot.
    This game was very easy for me and I did not enjoy it much. It would kind of show you the answer using a number line. 1 thing I liked about this game was that it was fairly simple to play and also colourful. I would probably rate this game 4/10 ( four tenths.)
    Charlie.

• Charlie,
      I agree with your reasoning for the rating you gave the game. Have you found any sites worth exploring?
      Mrs KAne

5. Hi Mrs Kane

I played the fraction wall game. I had lots of fun playing this game becouse it was colourfull and its interactive becouse you can roll the dice. I whould rate this game 6 out of 10 becouse it was different to most other maths games.

6. Hi Mrs Kane!
    I wanted to say that I did try both your sites. I think they were both fun, but a little bit childish. I guess I would have to rate them both a 4/10.
    From Nathanael

7. Hi guys/Mrs Kane,
    I think that the fraction wall game is really fun and helpful. The thing that I like the most about the game is how it has the wall and all the different fractions on the wall.
    Because I am a very visual and colourful learner I really like how the rows have colour patterns, That really helps me learn the fractions.
    The rating that I would give this game is a 7 out of 10. The reason that I wouldn’t give this game a 10 out of 10 is because I don’t really like how the game is for 2 people and not as fun if 1 person played it.
    Other wise I really think that this game is a good game to play.

• Thank you Jess for your feedback and detailed review of the games. Have you found any games that challenge you as a learner and that you think would be fun to play?
      Mrs Kane

8. Hi Mrs Kane
    I play both games that you put up.
    fraction wall games is ok it is easy
    to play but colorful I rate it 3 out of
    10 because it was-ant to fun and
    didn’t learn that much.
    Fraction Fiddle game is lot’s of fun
    and a little beet harder then fraction
    wall and funner I rate it 6 out of 10
    because it’s more entertaining then
    fraction wall. I have edited my awesome
    maths page I have four website so
    far on it, but not done.
    from Caleb

• Fantastic Caleb.
      You must have spent a great deal of time looking for sites. Well done! I’m sure the class will have fun exploring them next week.
      Mrs Kane

9. Dear Mrs Kane,

I tried out both Fraction Wall and Fraction Fiddle. In my opinion Fraction Wall is the best out of the two games. So, I’ll start with feedback for the Fraction Wall game.

One thing that I liked about Fraction Wall is that it had three different levels. That’s really helpful because you can make a judgement of which difficulty you can start on and work your way up. I also like how it tests out your equivalent fraction knowledge if a whole row is filled in. For example, if your eighths bar is full and you got 6/8 you would have to work out what is equivalent to that. I also like the “clear” and “fill” buttons to quickly and easily play again. I give it a 7 out of 10 and recommend it to 9-12 year olds.

Fraction Fiddle was an average game. I like how when you get the answer right you get a goal, but the main purpose of the game is to learn about fractions. That bit I thought was not that good. Earlier in Tim’s comment he stated that it had a number line on the side to help you. I 100% agree with Tim. It basically tells you the answer. I give it a 4 and a half out of 10 and recommend it to 8-10 year olds.

I will also be placing some websites on a new sibling page to my “Marvellous and Majestic Maths Mania!!!” page.

Joseph

• Thanks Joseph,
      Once again I have enjoyed reading your comment. You have provided a detailed review on both of the fraction games. I look forward to looking at the sites you found. Have you found any that challenge you?
      Mrs Kane.

10. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I believe both games are really good but I find them pretty basic. The first game was really fun to play though. When I played it with grace in class we were really competitive while playing but it was enjoyable. I think these games might be just for a bit of revision. Maybe that’s just me though.
    The I found the basketball game quite different to the first. This time the aim was to make one whole out of two fractions instead to fill a fraction wall. I would rate both games 3 stars out of five because once again I found them pretty basic but they were fun to play.

On my blog I have put the fraction wall game up and two other website links to fraction games.
    The links are down below so if you want to view them you can:
    http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm#fractions
    http://mrnussbaum.com/pizza_game/
    The first game has a number of different games and I thought they all looked good to play. The second one is where you have to put the right fraction amount on the pizza.
    From Zara.

• Thank you Zara for taking the time to follow through with your homework in such depth.
      Next week We’ll take the time to explore the fraction games student blogs. I look forward to visiting yours.
      As for developing your skills when it comes to fractions, you will probably enjoy the challenge that learning the algorithms for 4 processes. Practice for these can be found on the Cool Maths for kids site in Fractions if you are interested.
      Mrs Kane

11. Hi Mrs Kane

I have played only one of the games It was the basketball I enjoyed it to be honest I had guessed at the start and kinda cheated by looking at the bar.

I would rate this game 6 out of 10 because it is fun and will improve your knowledge but there is a way you could cheat in it.

from Maddie.

12. Hello Mrs Kane,
    I did play one of the games that you put up. The one where you have to shoot hoops was my favourite. I rate the game a 5 out of 10 because it did help me improve my fractions and I enjoy playing basketball as well.
    The other game I was not so sure about. I tried reading the instruction but they didn’t get in my head? But anyway I hope you understand my opinion about those 2 games.
    Andrejs

13. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I think the fraction wall game is better and fun. I say this because the way it is set out and how you can pick which level you want is smart. I would rank this game an 8 out of 10.

14. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I played both games to put up I think they are both really fun. My favorite game was the fraction wall game I found it fun .It had lots of colour and I think it was fun but it was a little bit easy. The other game was fun as well it was a little bit more challenge. I would rate the fraction wall a 5 out of 10 because it was fun but I wish it had more levels in the game. I would rate the other game a 4 and a half this is because simply I like playing the other game more it is funnier to me.
    From Georgia

15. Hi 5A! 🙂
    I played the Fraction fiddle: shoot the hoop game and I would rate this game an 8/10. I think this is a game should be rated out of 10 because it teaches you how you can use fractions and different ways you can add fractions together to make a whole.It also teaches you the difference between the denominator and the numerator. I think this a good game for a beginner learner on fractions because it is an easy game to play and everyone can enjoy the game as well.
    Hope everyone enjoys playing the maths games and has good luck on the next Cyber Safety Leg……..
    Beccy:)

16. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I think the fraction wall game was a 6 out of 10 stars. The thing I liked about was that you can place the fractions where you wanted them. The thing that I did not like about it was that it became repetitive and a little boring at the end.
    Cameron

17. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I played both of the games I give the fraction wall game 8/10 because it is fun I think it helps us learn our fractions better the higher the level the harder it gets. Also I rate the fraction fiddle shoot game a 5/10 because it was a bit confusing at the start then it got a bit easier. it was fun as well.
    Kind regards Laura

18. Hi 5A and of course Mrs Kane,
    I loved playing the fraction wall game and that actually helped me with how to order my fraction seeing that I’m not the best with my fractions. I also found a one website with many fraction games in it which gave me a variety of different fraction games on just one website. Thanks for listening and I hope you can play my fraction games. From Grace