Yes, I know it’s August but…

“When given a  choice between being right and being kind, chose kind.” This is a direct quote from Wonder by R.J. Palacio… the ‘September Precept’. You might like to share with your parents,what meaning this has for you.

This afternoon we viewed a short video clip…Danny Kaye singing

“The Ugly Duckling”. (And no…this time he wasn’t playing the role of a court jester.)

I’d like to know what hidden  message you received from this short clip? What connections can you make between this and our class novel Wonder?

19 thoughts on “Yes, I know it’s August but…

1. Hi Mrs Kane and my fellow piers,
    After watching that film I had many thoughts and yes I am willing to share them.
    The story of the ugly duckling was…….There is once a swan or a duck what ever you prefer and this duck has a hard life from being rejected by other ducks and giving him a sad nickname. “The ugly duckling” This duck was so upset and lonely from how these other birds were reacting to him. He hid himself through the Winter, so ashamed of who he was and how “UGLY” he was. One day he bumped into a few swans. They told him he was a swan and he took that moment to look at his reflection and saw who he really was a “swan”. He took off with the flock and lived a very happy life knowing that he was a beautiful divine magnificent swan.
    The message I got out of that film was………..It doesn’t matter how beautiful or how ugly, or what shape or size, you are always something special, but sometimes you take a while realise it or find it.
    The connections I found were
    In Wonder, August hates his looks and sometimes he feels ashamed and unloved about who he is. In the film the swan hates how he looks and doesn’t like himself either. But when both realize how special they really are, nothing can put them down and they just ignore what others think. Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy what my thoughts are.
    Grace.

• Grace,
      I enjoyed reading your comment and think that the message you gained from the film is very powerful.If only we could live our lives believing this, the world would be a much nicer place.
      Mrs Kane.
      P.S I’ve edited.

2. Hi Mrs Kane
    After watching the ugly duckling video I am really willing to share my thoughts about the video.
    The story was about a ugly duckling who really wanted to play with someone but the ducks kept on rejecting him over and over again. This duck was so sad and lonely that he hid away that whole winter. He felt so sad because of how ugly he was. But one day he ran into a few swans. They said he looked like a swan and the ugly duckling was so happy for the rest of his life.
    The message I got out of this film is never judge someone by their appearance because they might be a really nice person.
    The connections were …
    I agree with Grace because in Wonder August doesn’t like who he is and the ugly duckling doesn’t either.

• Max,
      A very thoughtful comment!
      I am wondering…when in ‘real life situations’ might this message be relevant? You might like to discuss this question with your parents.
      Mrs Kane

3. Hi Mrs Kane,
    What I’ve learnt from watching the video above was it only matters what’s on the inside and if people don’t like you for who you are, just ignore them. I also think people need to be proud of who they are because that just doesn’t make them feel any better. The connections that I noticed between wonder and the ugly duckling were August isn’t proud of his face and his looks, but on the inside he is a kind and caring person and nobody in the story were giving him a chance excepted Jack- Will.
    From Molly

• Molly,
      I think your message of “it only matters what’s on the inside and if people don’t like you for who you are, just ignore them’ is very powerful.
      Thanks for sharing…
      Mrs Kane

4. Hi Mrs Kane,
    The story in the song was about an ugly duckling. He was unwanted everywhere he went they always said go away we do not want you here. He tried to fit in but never did. She he spent the whole winter by himself. Then he meets some gees. They said he was not an ugly duckling he was a beautiful goose, and that he had the prettiest feathers they had ever seen. The message I got from this story was just like the saying never judge a book by its cover. However in this case it would say never judge a person by their looks. The connection I got was that everyone judged August because of his looks and so did everyone in short film.
    From Georgia

• Hi Georgia,
      I agree with your analysis and the connection you made with this film. I wonder how easy this is to do as a twelve year old. You have your circle of friends and along comes an ” August”.
      Humm… How easy would it be to accept August?.
      I wonder… What do you think?
      Mrs Kane

5. Hi Mrs Kane, after watching the ugly duckling video twice I started to get more connection and messages. The song is about a duck who try’s to join a flock of birds, but the birds rejected the bird. The flock of birds started calling the bird “The Ugly Duckling” The duckling started to get so ashamed of him self so, he came out and went for a little walk. When he was walking it came to his amazement that he could see a flock of swans. The ugly duckling walked over to the swans and one swan said the your a swan, a swan said the ugly duckling, yeah a swan. and then he was not called the ugly duckling he was now called a SWAN. The message that I got in this song is that no matter how ugly life is you will always get a reward. The connection that I got is a silmular connection in “wonder” In Wonder, August always gets laughed at and rejected by people. In this song the ugly duckling gets rejected and gets called names witch is exactly what happens with August. After all, this song would be inspiring for some people.
    From Oscar

6. Dear Mrs Kane,

This song told the story of swan that was born with ducks. He didn’t look like the others and had “feathers all stubby and brown”. So everybody told him to “get out of town”. The cygnet swam away from them, very miserable with the statement. He hid for the rest of the winter in a clump of weed, unknowing what was happening to his appearance. Eventually a group of swans noticed him. They said “you’re a very fine swan indeed”. The swan was puzzled. The group of swans said “take a look at yourself in the lake”. He looked and truly saw that he really was a swan. Now, the swans said he was “the best in town”.

I picked up something in the background. I saw that it said the word “Hats” above a store door. All the people who I saw in the background had hats on. He might have been scolded from someone for not wearing his hat and as result he is almost bald. He saw Danny Kaye and thought “oh no!” because Danny Kaye also had a hat on. He hid his head with his hands, clutching his hat in one.

The message I got from the video is that is to accept yourself whatever you look like and to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of who you are.

The connection I had between the video and Wonder is that most people dislike August and the ugly duckling’s appearance. The ugly duckling eventually finds out that he is an exceptional looking swan. August might achieve something exceptional just like the swan although it might not be his appearance.

Joseph

• Hello Joseph,
      Your analysis led me to pay more attention to ‘hat theory’. I also noticed that in the background there was store selling hats…humm.
      For your information… I grew up listening to this ‘record’. My mum loved music and Hans Christian Andersen was one of those. Most of the songs in this movie came with a message…if you have the time( mum and dad as well), you could learn about Hans Christian Andersen.
      Mrs Kane

7. Hi guys,
    On Friday the 2 year 5 classes went into miss condons room to watch a little short film called the ugly duckling.
    This short movie was about a little boy who had a bald head. He met a man who was so delightful and jolly to this boy. The man soon went on to sing a song about an ugly duckling. This poor little duck was born with a bunch of ducks so he looked different to them all and the ducks where so nasty to wards the poor duckling.
    At the end of the song the man said that the duckling wasn’t really a duckling he was the most beautiful swan.
    I really agree with graces summary and when she meant ironed that It doesn’t matter how beautiful, ugly, big, small you are.
    And I think that in every person there is a part that is waiting to come out, and people some times judge people by there appearance but you have to look further than that you look at there character.
    I thought that this story retaliated to wonder quite a lot because if you saw August around the streets you would probably judge him, with out even seeing the funny, nice, carving character that is in side.
    I thought that the teachers thought through this movie allot.

8. Hi guys,

9. Hi Mrs Kane,
    This song the ugly duckling told me that it is what’s on the inside that counts it doesn’t matter what you look like on the outside.
    The hidden message I received in this song is you will always to be beautiful if you are kind. Just like they say don’t judge a book by its cover that is a relation to this song the ugly duckling.
    One connection that I made with this and the book Wonder. Nobody really liked August or the ugly duckling because of the way they looked. They spent a lot of time by themselves until they got to know them.
    Kind regards
    Laura

10. Hi Mrs Kane,
    The hidden message, was that even though you look ugly, you can grow up and become a very beautiful swan.
    I really liked the song because it was so catchy and nice. Though, the video of the ‘Ugly Duckling’ never appeared when I went on the blog. So, I had to go onto the website of where you got it from and search up: ‘The Ugly Duckling’. In the end I was able to watch the clip with my mum.
    The connection of the story with Wonder, was that both of the main characters were ugly. August probably found out this saying ‘Don’t judge a book by it’s front cover.’ Though I think it would be better like this ‘Don’t judge a boy’s face by the way it looks’. I got this idea, courtesy of Google images. I found a picture of the front cover of the book Wonder. It had a piece of text next to it saying ‘Don’t judge a boy, by his face’. I thought that was true. It’s the same concept with the book’s front cover. Anyway, in the end, August learns that he might be ugly on the out side, but on the inside he is beautiful.
    From: Timothy.

11. Hi mrs Kane

the message i revived was to not judge people from there looks and the connection had got would be that that kid and wonder would have that [look] of people saying your ugly or whats wrong with you.

from Maddie

12. Hi Mrs Kane,

I think the ugly duckling song is about a swan who thinks he is a ugly looking duck. But he is actually very fine swan. So the swan is not such a ugly duckling. In other words, there is a person who lost their hair and thinks they are ugly. The person is going to be a very fine person.
    I think the connection between the ugly duckling and Wonder is that they both think they are ugly and nobody wants to be friends with them because they don’t think it is usual to see someone like that. But on the inside they are normal.

From Angus

From Angus

13. Hi Mrs Kane
    The message I got is don’t believe in other peoples criticism and get on with life.
    The connection to “Wonder” is that other people look and make comments about him and he tries to ignore them and doesn’t let people get him down.
    From Cameron