15 thoughts on “How would you do this?

1. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I went on google images and found that the easiest way to solve the 24×6 is to use the box method.
    I thought that solving the algorithms and using anchor charts helped a lot and the way that the anchor charts went through in steps really helped me.
    Thank you Mrs Kane. From Jess.

• Jessica, I’m pleased that this little investigation has been helpful to you. I also like the way you ask questions in maths when you are not sure. Sometimes you have to persist to be successful. I know that on Friday you were determined to make sense of the window method and you succeeded. Well Done!

2. Hi Mrs Kane!

I used the bow tie method and I found it slow, but efficient.

Although I was not able to do other methods I would love to put this method on my “top ten” list.

Bye Mrs Kane!

• Thanks Nathanael.
      Yes, your opinion seems to match those of others. Some methods take more time to set up or take a little practice before you get the hang of them.
      Mrs Kane.

3. Hi Mrs Kane,
    first thing, it is not pin trest that the picture brings me to, it’s Google images. I found that the bow tie method was easier to use, though it took a bit longer, probably because I wasn’t used to using it. I also tried the Lattice method. It took a bit of time to set it up. It did really surprise me when I did it and saw how it worked. One thing about it is, I don’t know how to plus 2 digit numbers on the lattice algorithm. I don’t really know where to put the tens. I thought most of the methods were good, it was fun to try them all out. Now for that question. I would use the same method we use, the vertical one. I would use that one because I am more familiar with the method, so I can do it really fast.
    From:Tim.

• Thanks Tim for your detective work, and yes, you are correct, the link takes to to google images.
      I agree with you when you say the lattice method takes some time to set up. I wanted the class to explore different methods FOR SOLVING MULTIPLICATION BECAUSE EVERYOMNE usually has a preference for one or the other.
      I understand that, if you are very familiar with the long multiplication method, it makes sense to stick with it.
      Mrs Kane

4. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I tried the box and the table method. They were both very helpful. I found the box method was easer then the table method. This is because the box method is not as hard to understand and not as confusing. The box method is a slower way because it has lots of steps but accurate so I found it helpful. The table method it took me time to fully understand what to do.
    From Georgia.

• Georgia,
      I agree with you when you say that the box method is easy to understand. I think that it allows you to break larger numbers into two more easily understood parts, is also helpful.
      Thank you for exploring these methods.
      Mrs Kane

5. Hi Mrs Kane,
    I used the bow tie method to figure out 24 x 6. I found it a slow method but quite efficient.
    There is also a slight down fall with the bow tie method. When you have to times the different numbers at the end what happens then if you can’t times them? Then you’d probably be back at square one again.
    Overall though I believe it was an efficient way to solve out a multiplication sum.
    From Zara

6. Dear Mrs Kane,

I would solve the algorithm 24 x 6 by using long multiplication. I find it easier for a algorithm like that but if it was something like 76 x 23 I might use the lattice method. I had “rediscovered” this strategy and I really think it is very useful with bigger numbers. I think I’m going to stick with long multiplication though but it is good to keep in mind other methods such as the lattice method also.

Joseph

• Hi Joseph,

I find it interesting that most of Mrs Condon’s group find the algorithm easier to work with. It might have something to do with your ability to understand the abstract nature of maths. Children who are visual learners often prefer the lattice, window or bow tie methods.
      Ask mum or dad to explain what is meant by this comment.
      Mrs Kane.

7. Hi Mrs Kane!
    I did the repeated addition because I didn’t understand the others and my internet was slow. I found this strategy really easy and quick and I will use it a lot. It can also be a bit of fun too, because I like adding up numbers so it makes it quick, easy and fun! I would also recommend this strategy to other kids in our class. I they find it fun too.
    Beccy:)

• Thank you Rebecca,
      It is interesting to note that when students are first introduced to multiplication, this is the strategy that is taught. So…you probably have a very good reason to think the way you’re thinking.
      Mrs Kane.

8. Hi Mrs Kane
    I used a clock method. The clock method is really easy and interesting. The clock method works like this. Every time you come past a clock number you then just multiply it by 5. Hopefully the class can learn more about the clock methods.
    From Oscar